RSS
You'll find my blog are things I'm thinking through or praying through....most recently...the orphan- both here and abroad, adoption, and my family.

Age. Balding. Bears. Gray. 29.

balding.  No.  I’m not balding and neither is Ash.  Balding we usually see as a sign of getting older in men.  One of the funnies stories I remember reading as a teenager in the Bible had to do with baldness.  We find it in 2 Kings 2:23-25.  
23 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the Lord. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number. 25 He went from there to Mount Carmel, and from there he returned to Samaria.
When I was a teenager, I didn’t get the whole story.  The lesson I got was “don’t call old men bald and don’t be disrespectful. Otherwise you might get eaten by a bear.” However,  I often heard this verse, 1 Timothy 4:12.
Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe. 
I think my youth pastor read this verse at least once a month.  But it wasn’t until earlier this week that I found a new passage about age that I had never read, Psalm 71. If I had read it, it never sunk in.  
 14 But as for me, I will hope continually, And will praise You yet more and more. 15 My mouth shall tell of Your righteousness And of Your salvation all day long; For I do not know the sum of them. 16 I will come with the mighty deeds of the Lord God; I will make mention of Your righteousness, Yours alone. 17 O God, You have taught me from my youth, And I still declare Your wondrous deeds. 18 And even when I am old and gray, O God, do not forsake me, Until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to all who are to come. 19 For Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the heavens, You who have done great things; O God, who is like You? 20 You who have shown me many troubles and distresses Will revive me again, And will bring me up again from the depths of the earth. 21 May You increase my greatness And turn to comfort me. 22 I will also praise You with a harp, Even Your truth, O my God; To You I will sing praises with the lyre, O Holy One of Israel. 23 My lips will shout for joy when I sing praises to You; And my soul, which You have redeemed. 24 My tongue also will utter Your righteousness all day long; For they are ashamed, for they are humiliated who seek my hurt. 
The chapter caught my eye as I was skimming through the Psalms.  I’ve been reading the Psalms because they are such an encouragement to me.  Their honesty of emotions, David’s reliance on God, the steadfastness of faith seen thru the writings of the Psalmists has been strength for my soul.  The title of the chapter, “ Forsake Me Not When My Strength Is Gone,” stood out to me.  My strength has been low lately, which means I’ve had to live in the strength of the Lord. It’s been a hard lesson, letting go of my self reliance. Relying on God to say the right words to other in moments where I don’t have answers, relying on God to use me to teach my children at home, relying on God to help me love my husband and children, neighbors and friends.  So I came to the passage with hope.  
Verse 18- 19  is my prayer,
 18 And even when I am old and gray, O God, do not forsake me, Until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to all who are to come. 19 For Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the heavens, You who have done great things; O God, who is like You?
ok. I admit, even though I'm 29 (khmm 35)  I resist gray hair (I pluck them), I moisturize the hell out of wrinkles and use a scrub daily.  But when I see age in this way...my heart gets soft and says, "Lord, use me. Let me show others your strength. Because you know where my strength gets me....curled up in a ball and crying on the floor."

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: