Did you ever learn something that was super important? I mean really learn something – it took pain, sacrifice and discipline in order to learn it – only to find yourself later realizing that you forgot how important it was?
Years ago some ladies in my life challenged me to do an Elizabeth George Bible study called Life Management for Busy Women. We each did it on our own. I don’t remember if we met each week to go over what we were learning, or what God was doing with that information. However, I do remember that God used it in my life to order my day, to love my husband and my children and to let it all begin by asking God to develop in me a passion for His word and prayer. It ended by giving me the passion, purpose and energy to serve God, my family and others.
As Ash and I are considering adopting, I hear a reoccurring theme being spoken about by resources, books, other adoptive parents and of course my doctor, “take care of yourself first.” This seems so… not Christian, so….not motherly. Yet I’ve been encouraged. Jesus, the God-man took time to rest, to get away, to sleep, to pray, to be refreshed. If He can do it, I think the world will not fall apart while I do the same. Here’s some aspects of self-care I’ve been considering, why, and how I’m hoping to tackle them in my life.
Bible study and prayer – I’m a concrete person. I can’t read my Bible on my iphone or computer. My brain remembers where I read something on a particular page, how the words looked. In order to cement what I’m reading, I’ve found over the years, I must journal about it immediately, on paper. I know it’s a waste of a tree. I know I could type it faster. However, seeing my handwriting on a page somehow has emotion and depth to my writings that letters on screen never do. Every time I get away from this method, I regret it. So I’m going back.
My health – Modern fitness gurus like to make me feel like I’m never in shape enough, not muscular enough, and that my cardio-vascular system is running like a Model T. Well it probably is. However, since God looks at the heart and man looks at the outer appearance. I’m just going to have to say pppwwhhh to all of you fitness gurus. I’ve had, in recent years, a battle appear skinny. Skinny is not what matters people! I went to the doctor yesterday. She told me my good cholesterol is low. How can I fix that you ask? Her answer was red wine or exercise. My first choice…red wine. No effort. No discipline. Just $15 a bottle for my favorite kind. That could get to be a little expensive, sooo… as I was talking to a friend today I decided to try to exercise. Why? Because my body is God’s. My children and my husband love me. And even though I might be the pinky toe in the body of my local church, I’m needed. And besides, when I’m outside, walking or running for free, I’ll also get that Vitamin D that my body doesn’t seem to absorb from food. (High Five!)
A book I’ve been reading is called The Connected Child. The author shares how, as parents, we can refill our own bucket!
Here’s some tips- with the science behind it! (I love it!)
1. Touch is therapeutic. 30-minute massages reduce levels of the stress marker cortisol by 30%. It also increases two important neurotransmitters, serotonin and dopamine by an average of 28-31%. If you know anything about cortisol, serotonin and dopamine you should be offering your husband or wife a nightly massage, especially if you have a three year old.
2. Get exercise. 15 minutes of daily walking helps reduce stress and cortisol levels.
3. Take multivitamin and mineral supplements daily.
4. Avoid sugary drinks and snacks, which make our blood sugar crash and often make us cranky!
5.Give and receive hugs, often! Hugs send messages to your brain, which slows your heart rate down, reduces your blood pressure, curbs cortisol, and facilitates food absorption and digestion and releases serotonin! All that with just a nice BIG HUG!
6. Prioritize private time with your spouse. After learning about 1 & 5 above, I just gave you something to do, if you can’t think of anything to talk about. Seriously, love your spouse, show them Christ and make their day better.
7. Ask a friend or family member to come care for your children so you can have a night off.
Sounds like I have some things to get in order. It might be a long road. It might take longer than I think. Throw me some hugs when I'm getting discouraged. Thanks!






0 comments:
Post a Comment