The plans of the heart belong to man,
but the answer of the tongue is from the LORD.
All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes,
but the LORD weighs the spirit.
3 Commit your work to the LORD,
and your plans will be established.
4 The LORD has made everything for its purpose,
even the wicked for the day of trouble.
5Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the LORD;
be assured, he will not go unpunished.
6By steadfast love and faithfulness iniquity is atoned for,
and by the fear of the LORD one turns away from evil.
7When a man’s ways please the LORD,
he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
8 Better is a little with righteousness
than great revenues with injustice.
9 The heart of man plans his way,
but the LORD establishes his steps. Proverbs 16:1-9.
Two years ago I had plans. Plans to do things. We were thinking about moving. Some of our friends in Florida were moving out of state and since Ash never loved the one season that Florida has, hot and humid, we decided it was time for us to go too. I had always wanted to go back to school. Ash said we’d move wherever I wanted to go to school.
Where ever? I picked Raleigh. Why? There is a great seminary here. I wanted to take Bible classes, but have a degree that was useful, in case I needed to work again. I was making plans. SEBTS has a great Ethics Department. Advisors to the past presidents and Supreme Court Justices are on staff as professors. Raleigh is the state capitol. Job opportunities. The economy was strong. For Ash, Raleigh had 4 seasons. See? Plans.
My plans don’t always come to actually be. Why? Not because I’m a bad planner, or I don’t have the motivation to follow thru. I do. Sometimes I’ve found God uses my plans to make way for his. Or He changes my plans 180 degrees. God’s been establishing my steps in a different way that what I’ve planned. I’m ok with that. I’m actually more at peace than when I plan for myself.
New Year’s Resolutions for 2011? Quit Planning. Sit. Listen. Pray. Commit my work to the Lord. I think 2011 is going to be great!






0 comments:
Post a Comment